There is a lot of debate surrounding the topic of facials and pregnancy. Some people believe that it is perfectly safe to get facials during pregnancy, while others think that it is not a good idea. So, what is the truth? Are facials safe during pregnancy? In this blog post, we will take a look at the evidence and see what experts have to say about this topic.
One of the main concerns about getting facials during pregnancy is the potential for absorption of harmful chemicals through the skin. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this is a real risk. In fact, most experts agree that it is perfectly safe to get facials during pregnancy.
What facials are safe during pregnancy?
- Deep cleansing facials. The first step in removing blemishes is to get rid of sebum and impurities. This is the most common type of facial treatment, which includes exfoliating, masks, and moisturizing. Deep cleansing facials are safe and effective in reducing oil levels.
- Oxygen facials. Facials can aid with increased blood circulation and the plumping of any fine lines or wrinkles on your skin.
- Hydrating facials. The skin is cleansed, moisturized, and hydrated with water, collagen, elastin, and seaweed in these facials.
Another concern is the risk of infection. However, this is also not a real concern. Facials are usually performed in clean, sterile environments and the risk of infection is very low.
Treatments to Avoid
The following facial treatments should be avoided during pregnancy:
- Microdermabrasion. This might induce irritation, breakouts, or scarring in your skin, which is more sensitive during this time.
- Retinoids. Toxins in our environment, such as pesticides and radiation, can harm a developing fetus. The use of retinoids during pregnancy has also been linked to an increased risk of childhood cancer. These are created from vitamin A and are a type of teratogen, which means they might cause developmental issues in the baby.
- Chemical peels. If you’ve ever had chemical peels for acne, ask your doctor or dermatologist first. These peels may be harmful to your ultra-sensitive skin during pregnancy because they are strong enough to cause burns on sunburned skin. For the time being, your dermatologist can advise you on other treatment options.
Chemicals To Avoid
When pregnant, it’s crucial to be cautious about the skincare products you use, as certain chemicals can be harmful to the developing fetus. Here are some chemicals found in skincare products that are considered harmful during pregnancy:
- Retinoids: This includes Retin-A, Retinol, and Retinyl Palmitate. They are commonly used in anti-aging and acne treatments. Source
- Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid: These are often used in acne treatments. While low concentrations might be safe, it’s best to consult with a dermatologist. Source
- Hydroquinone: Found in skin-lightening agents. Source
- Phthalates and Parabens: These are endocrine-disrupting chemicals found in personal care products and can interfere with hormone systems. Source
- Formaldehyde: This chemical can be found in some hair straightening treatments and nail polishes. Source
- Chemical Sunscreens: Some sunscreens contain chemicals that can be absorbed into the skin and might be harmful during pregnancy. Source
- Aluminum Chloride: Often found in antiperspirants. Source
- Dihydroxyacetone (DHA): Used in some self-tanners. Source
- Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA): These are exfoliants that can be found in various skincare products. Source
- Diethanolamine (DEA): Used in some cosmetics and shampoos. Source
It’s essential to read product labels and consult with a dermatologist or healthcare provider before using any skincare products during pregnancy. They can provide guidance on safe alternatives and products that are beneficial for the skin during this period.
Benefits of Facials While Pregnant
So, what about the benefits of facials during pregnancy? Facials can help to improve the appearance of skin that is affected by pregnancy hormones. They can also help to relax and de-stress pregnant women.
Overall, there is no evidence to suggest that basic facials are unsafe during pregnancy. In fact, there are many benefits to getting facials during pregnancy. If you are thinking about getting a facial, talk to your healthcare provider first to make sure that it is safe for you.
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: A facial when pregnant can provide a much-needed relaxation break, helping to alleviate stress and promote overall well-being.
- Addressing Oily Skin: Pregnancy can often lead to hormonal changes that result in oily skin. A facial can help balance the skin’s oil production, leaving it refreshed and less greasy.
- Improved Blood Circulation: Facials stimulate blood flow to the facial region, which can enhance the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to skin cells. This can result in a radiant pregnancy glow.
- Deep Cleansing: Skin treatments during pregnancy can help in deep cleansing the pores, removing dirt, oil, and impurities, preventing acne and breakouts.
- Hydration: Facials can provide intense hydration, ensuring the skin remains moisturized and supple, reducing the chances of developing stretch marks.
- Safe Alternative to Other Procedures: While some procedures, like laser hair removal, might be questionable during pregnancy, a facial offers a safe and non-invasive way to care for the skin.
- Prevention of Stretch Marks: While facials primarily focus on the face, some skin treatments can be extended to areas prone to stretch marks, like the neck and upper chest, ensuring the skin remains elastic and less prone to developing marks.
- Customized Care: A professional can tailor the facial to address specific pregnancy-related skin concerns, ensuring the best care for the mother’s unique needs.
- Boosted Confidence: Pregnancy can bring about various skin changes. Regular facials can help maintain a clear and radiant complexion, boosting confidence during this transformative period.
- Preparation for Post-Pregnancy: Regular skin treatments during pregnancy can ensure the skin is in its best condition, making post-pregnancy recovery smoother and quicker.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is it safe to get a facial while pregnant?
- What types of facials are safe during pregnancy?
- According to What to Expect, safer facial options during pregnancy include hydrating facials, collagen facials, oxygen facials, steam facials, LED facials, or ones that feature fruit acid.
- Are there any facial treatments to avoid during pregnancy?
- The Bump advises avoiding harsh treatments like microdermabrasion and certain kinds of chemical peels, which can be more harmful than beneficial.
- Can facials cause problems during pregnancy?
- WebMD mentions that while facials aren’t necessarily dangerous, some facial treatments can cause issues during pregnancy.
- How do facials affect skin changes during pregnancy?
- Some women experience a pregnancy glow, while others might deal with oily, dry, or acne-prone skin. Facials can be a way to address these skin changes, as mentioned by NCT.
- Is it common for pregnant women to experience skin sensitivity?
- Some sources indicate that the skin can become more sensitive during pregnancy, which might affect how it reacts to certain facial treatments.
- Should I consult with a healthcare provider before getting a facial during pregnancy?
- It’s always a good idea to talk to a healthcare provider or dermatologist before undergoing any facial treatments during pregnancy to ensure safety.
- How do facials affect blood flow during pregnancy?
- Facials can enhance blood flow to the facial region, promoting a healthy glow and aiding in skin rejuvenation. This increased circulation can be especially beneficial during pregnancy when hormonal changes can impact skin health.
Pregnancy is a transformative time, bringing about numerous changes to a woman’s body, including her skin. While it’s a period of joy and anticipation, it’s also essential to prioritize self-care and well-being. Facials offer a rejuvenating experience, addressing specific pregnancy-related skin concerns and ensuring you feel radiant and refreshed. Why not give yourself the gift of relaxation and revitalized skin? Eugenia Garnes specializes in providing tailored facials that cater to the unique needs of expectant mothers. Don’t wait any longer—embrace this special phase of your life with glowing skin and elevated confidence. Schedule your facial with Eugenia Garnes today and embark on a journey of beauty and relaxation tailored just for you.